[alsa-devel] Query regarding broken pipe on capturre device

Ketan Deshpande ketan.deshpande at tcs.com
Tue Nov 3 07:13:46 CET 2009

Hello All,

    I am facing a certain problem in the application development using
ALSA.Below is the small description of my problem

    I am trying to read from the capture device using "snd_pcm_readi"; but
sometimes i get a error saying "error reading from capture device : broken
pipe -32". Which results in the audio break.

    I have tried to use the port in blocking as well as non blocking mode
but that does not seem to help. I have tried to make sure the buffer sizes
match, using the below mentioned formula.

    ALSA Buffer size in my Apllication = 1024 * 8 =  Periodsize * number of
periods = HW Buffer size

    Can you please suggest me, as to what could be the reason for the
broken pipe error and how can I get rid of that?

regards,
-Ketan

and any attachments. Thank you