[alsa-devel] HDA model specification and a topic/hda bug?

Paul "TBBle" Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Wed Dec 23 06:21:34 CET 2009

Hi,

I've a couple of questions. Firstly, I've been through "MORE NOTES ON
HD-AUDIO DRIVER"
and was able to use codecgraph and hda-analyzer to identify
non-disabled speakers on my
laptop (the laptop claims four speakers plus a subwoofer, Alsa's
autodetect only enables the
subwoofer for output) but I'm having trouble working out how to
convert this knowledge into either
changes to patch_realtek.c or even a patch file to feed the driver, so
that it comes up correctly
by default.

I do have a printout of the Intel HDA spec's codec layout chapter, but
I haven't read it yet. I'm
hoping not to have to, but I suspect I will.

Anyway, I've been tracking topic/hda from the Alsa git repository,
hoping it'll magically fix my
sound-card detection, but I'm having a problem with
5b0cb1d850c26893b1468b3a519433a1b7a176be
(ALSA: hda - add more NID->Control mapping) which I believe is part of
the 1.0.22 release.

For reference, it's an MSI GT725 laptop...

Basically, snd_hda_add_nids is being called with an array of three
nids, the third of which is 0.

I've been throwing snd_kprintd statements at it, and it seems that I
see input_mux->num_items
as 3 (which I _think_ is correct, I have a buit-in microphone,
microphone jack and line-in jack) but
I only have two analog aud_in nodes (0x8 and 0x9, 0x7 is a vendor node).