[alsa-devel] spdif/iec958 outputs at VT1708S not recognized

Peter Niemayer niemayer at isg.de
Wed Apr 29 14:25:28 CEST 2009

Hi,

I recently installed an Asus M4N78 mainboard, that uses a
nVidia GeForce 8300 chipset and a VT1708S soundchip.

Alas, the code in pci/hda/patch_via.c did not recognize
the 3 existing iec958/spdif outputs, and presented only
the analog devices.

I had to short circuit the pin definition
in vt1708S_parse_auto_config() to get the digital outputs
to work:

         spec->multiout.max_channels = spec->multiout.num_dacs * 2;

-       if (spec->autocfg.dig_out_pin)
+       // test fails for Asus M4N78 if (spec->autocfg.dig_out_pin)
                 spec->multiout.dig_out_nid = VT1708S_DIGOUT_NID;

         spec->extra_dig_out_nid = 0x15;

The digital sound output works just fine for me with this change,
but I guess there should be a cleaner way to make this work?

Several people in forums on the InterNet reported similar problems
with getting their digital outputs on VT1708S to work under Linux.

Regards,

Peter Niemayer