[alsa-devel] Audio on Linux is a mess

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Oct 20 17:12:23 CEST 2008

Fred . wrote:
> ALSA lib pulse.c:272:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Timeout
> ALSA lib pulse.c:272:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Timeout
> AL lib: alsa.c:344: Could not open playback device 'default': Connection refused
> AL lib: oss.c:179: Could not open /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
>   File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/pyglet/media/drivers/openal/__init__.py",
> line 340, in driver_init_device = alc.alcOpenDevice(device_name)

1. Pulseaudio issue (or rather the distro who configured pusleaudio
issue, rather than pulseaudio directly - looks like you have some kind
of networking issue where or a mismatch in pulseaudio libs but that
beside the point).

> Audio on Linux is a mess.
> I launch an Python script that uses audio then it breaks, and when the
> Python script is closed, I still hear the audio skipping and repeating
> like,
> "kakakakakakaka" in infinite loop.
> And PulseAudio seems to be frozen.
> Then I kill PulseAudio and finally the audio noise stops.
>
> Oh, and I heard OpenAL downsamples stereo to mono on Linux due to a bug.

2. OpenAL issue.

> Whole audio on Linux is just a big mess.

Well complaining to the ALSA list when the two things you actually
complain about is not actually anything to do with alsa is not the right
way to help fix that "mess".

If you wish to be constructive rather than just random flaming them I'm
sure people will be happy to help.

I will happily take the time to explain to you why I think the future is
quite bright for sound on linux (I agree that some degree of mess exists
just now).

At the moment tho', you have a problem speaking to pulseaudio. You
should debug that first. If you cannot work it out yourself, ask on
#pulseaudio or on the pulseaudio mailing lists.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie