[alsa-devel] New BIOS, new vendor and device IDs

Chris Pemberton cjpembo.mailing.lists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 09:04:37 CEST 2008

Chris Pemberton wrote:
> My machine is a Lenovo 3000 N100 laptop (0768 model).  I had to
> recently update the BIOS.
>
> Old BIOS:  lspci -> device id:  [17aa:2066] which is a Realtek
> ALC861VD (found in patch_realtek.c)
>
> New BIOS: lspci -> device id: [8086:27d8] (found in hda_intel.c)
>
> In both cases, I use the module option "model=3stack" to get sound
> working:
> Laptop speakers work. Built-in mic works. External mic works
> Headphones work; but automatic speaker muting does not.
> I tried to debug why I needed this module option at all, several
> months ago (old BIOS), but I didn't get far and just became complacent
> with using the module option.
>
> If anyone is interested, I'll do what I can to help debug.  It would
> be nice to be able to use Skype with headphones...
>
> Output of the alsa info script is at:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=701ca6efa0500080dc78a555813f66c1d42096e6
>
> That is with driver 1.0.17.  I'll try to update to the latest snapshot
> and run the script again.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

Well, forget everything I said about the BIOS and new device ids: I was
mistaken.

Running "lspci -nnvv" gives the following:

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
Definition Audio Controller [8086:27d8] (rev 02)
        *Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:2066]*
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 22
        Region 0: Memory at d0340000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
        Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

I mistakenly thought "lspci -nn" was the correct command.  This gave the
vendor info, not the device into.  Sorry for the noise.  I feel like a tool.

But, I'd still like to help debug the headphone jack sensing and module
option if possible.

Chris