[alsa-devel] SB X-Fi driver status update

Alexey Bazhin baz at irc.msk.ru
Thu Oct 16 20:54:25 CEST 2008

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 15:18:32 +0200
Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> now I'm stabilizing the driver a bit.  I hope it won't hang up any
> more (so often), and make you happy testing.
speakers-test and aplay works perfect with both base_rates and any
sample rate (tried only stereo samples), but mplayer become more glitchy
- sound pauses for a bit every 5-10 seconds, dmesg included.

> - As default, the driver works only as a constant sample rate, either
>   48000 or 96000 (default).  The rate can be changed via the module
>   option base_rate.  For enabling the continuous rate support (it was
>   on before), define XXX_CONT_RATE in sbxfi.c.
only tried speakers-test:
96khz works fine
48khz plays slow (frequency is lower than it should be)
44.1khz silent, speakers-test ends with error, dmesg included.

root at mayonaka:~# speaker-test -c 2 -r 44100 -t sine

speaker-test 1.0.15

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 44100Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
Sine wave rate is 440.0000Hz
Rate set to 44100Hz (requested 44100Hz)
Buffer size range from 32 to 16384
Period size range from 32 to 16384
Using max buffer size 16384
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 4096
was set buffer_size = 16384
 0 - Front Left
Write error: -5,Input/output error
xrun_recovery failed: -5,Input/output error
Transfer failed: Operation not permitted

> - If playback works well, try to define XXX_USE_SG in sbxfi.c.  This
>   will make the driver using SG buffer instead of continuous pages.
works absolutely the same as without it.

> - Also, test SBXFI_DMA_MASK being DMA_32BIT_MASK, especially if you
>   have RAM more than 2GB.
i have 3GB RAM on my test box, everything worked fine with 32-bit mask,
but i haven't done many tests...

> - You can try dmix as well.  E.g. simply run like
> 	% aplay -Dplug:dmix:0 foo.wav
works fine.

--
 Alexey Bazhin