[alsa-devel] size of snd_hda_intel

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Oct 7 10:41:30 CEST 2008

At Mon, 6 Oct 2008 21:29:32 -0400,
Jon Smirl wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 4:28 AM, Vedran Miletić <rivanvx at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I believe this isn't that easy. Here is why: iff you look at the
> > ice1712/ice1724 driver, it doesn't detect dependencies when modprobed;
> > that is, it loads, for example, ac97 codec and ak4xxx driver even if
> > the card doesn't have any of that. Is it even possible to detect
> > dependencies after modprobing?
>
> The base intel hda module would include code to figure out which codec
> is attached. It can then use loadmodule() to dynamically load it. ASOC
> use the separate codec driver model.

You mean AOA?
ASoC doesn't do any dynamic module handling by itself, AFAIK.

> It would look like a "hda" bus in sysfs with the "codec" module sitting on it.

Well, originally there shouldn't have been so many codec variants.
The current situation came up due to a couple of obvious reasons...

Ayway, the current plan is to develop an improved generic parser and
add the capability to extra setup for each hardware, either
dynamically or statically.  In that way, the whole static function
callbacks and mixer arrays can be removed or replaced with smaller
hints.

The codec reconfigure patches are already in my tree in
topic/hda-reconfig branch, and the improvement of generic parser is
under development.

Takashi