[alsa-devel] USB Data Dropping

Charles Eidsness charles.eidsness at ieee.org
Fri May 23 17:42:53 CEST 2008

Hi All,

I'm developing a USB DAC and I've ran into an issue that has me scratching my
head. Every once in a while (30 seconds or so) my USB DAC gets sent a USB frame
that's missing a few samples, unless I'm also streaming audio through my
laptop's built-in audio interface, i.e. playing audio through my USB DAC alone
and I get dropped data, playing audio through my USB DAC and the built-in audio
device at the same time (unique streams to each device) and I get no dropped
data to my USB DAC. Once I stop playing audio on the built-in device I start
getting dropped data to my USB DAC again.

The USB DAC is using the standard USB Audio drivers, and the built-in device is
an RealTek ALC880 HDA device connected through an Intel 82801. I'm guessing that
the hda driver is configuring some global parameter when it's in active playback
mode that the USB driver should maybe also be setting. Any ideas? I've already
played around with lspci (the USB interface on my laptop is PCI based) but can't
see any differences in PCI configuration between when I'm playing audio on the
biult-in device and when I'm not.

Thanks!
Charles