[alsa-devel] Moving sound/* to drivers/ ?

Rene Herman rene.herman at keyaccess.nl
Wed May 21 23:58:10 CEST 2008

On 21-05-08 23:44, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> So I would personally certainly not mind somebody doing a
>
> 	git mv sound drivers/sound
> 	.. edit makefiles and Kconfig files appropriately ..
> 	git commit -a
>
> and it wouldn't be a problem for git (ie the repository wouldn't grow or
> anything like that).

I'd personally like the net/ structure more. So subsystem code under
sound/ and drivers moved to drivers/sound/.

>> Of course, the primary question is whether it's really worth.
>> The obvious drawback is that patches won't be applicable after the
>> move.
>
> Well, git merging is actually pretty good at this, so you can apply the
> patches to the old release and then merge it, and it will do the right
> thing (perhaps not for newly created files, but that's pretty easy to fix
> up).

And a few symlinks will do wonders as well. I do/did that when I "port"
patches developped against mainline to the alsa-kernel HG repo. Not a
problem that way. Apply and rediff to get the new paths.

> Me personally, I've been more irritated by include/asm-xyz vs arch/xyz. It
> would be so nice if all the arch-specific changes woudl always show up
> under arch/ (both from a statistics standpoint, and just because then a
> diffstat really shows arch-specific stuff really obviously, and sorts all
> the arch-specific stuff together).

And one would not forget to add the include directory to a "git log" or
"git bisect" path specification...

Rene.