[alsa-devel] [patch] snd-pcsp: depend on CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL

Rene Herman rene.herman at keyaccess.nl
Sat May 17 18:01:33 CEST 2008

On 17-05-08 12:45, Stas Sergeev wrote:

>> No objections against your patch, but considering that virtually
>> everyone has EXPERIMENTAL enabled in his kernel it won't bring
>> you out of any troubles...

> So do you think it should depend
> on CONFIG_BROKEN?

No, I wouldn't do that. It isn't all that broken it would seem (assuming
  it will work for me after applying the patch you posted that should
make it work with older alsa-lib; haven't checked yet).

> The other possibilities, like hardcoding
> the index value as Andreas Mohr suggested,
> are also interesting. Can someone please
> comment if this is acceptable?

Generally I'd say totally unacceptable but this might in fact be a
special case due to it being generic PC hardware and expected to be
present therefore -- it might actually make some sense to reserve a
#define SND_INDEX_PCSP MAXINT or some such so that this thing gets a
stable index (and make sure people know to select it through its name
like in "default:pcsp" and the like). I'd ask Takashi for comment on that...

Rene.