[alsa-devel] Planned changes

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri May 16 16:36:32 CEST 2008

Hi,

there are some patches floating around on my experimental tree, which
I'd like to merge to the ALSA upstream.  At least, the following two
are ready for merge:

- Use menuconfig in ALSA kconfig
- Convert CONFIG_SND_DEBUG_DETECT to CONFIG_SND_DEBUG_VERBOSE

The first one is to change from menu to menuconfig in ALSA Kconfig
files.  There have been some patches by others, but they haven't been
applied because of the problem with alsa-driver build.  Now I hacked
alsa-driver build again so that it works with menuconfig somehow.

The drawback is that it changes the configure option.  Instead of
--with-cards and --with-card-options, now we have a single
--with-kconfigs.  I think, however, it's rather an improvement.

The next one, renaming to CONFIG_SND_DEBUG_VERBOSE, is easy.
The reason is that CONFIG_SND_DEBUG_DETECT and snd_printdd() are used
almostly exclusively for verbose debug messages.  This may reduce some
misunderstanding about this option.

The patches can be found on my experimental tree:
    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound-unstable-2.6.git
    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/alsa-driver-build-unstable.git

If there is no objection, I'll apply the above two changes in the next
week.

thanks,