[alsa-devel] /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf :and file extention

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Mar 17 16:07:27 CET 2008

At Mon, 17 Mar 2008 13:34:11 +0100,
Rene Herman wrote:

> On 17-03-08 09:05, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Mon, 17 Mar 2008 04:18:15 +0100,
> > Rene Herman wrote:
>
> >> Don't do it there. Use /etc/asound.conf or $HOME/.asoundrc ...
> >
> > Or /etc/asound.conf.  It's the additional place for the system-wide
> > definitions.
>
> That's what I said.

Ah, I must have been too careless...

> >> Also note that /tmp/pcm.out will be headerless PCM and is recreated
> >> for individual opens. I don't believe there's an append mode or anything
> >> (and you'd need to make sure that everyone plays the same format) so not
> >> toot sure if this is what you need to have a catch all audio-sink...
> >
> > Recently I added a new option "truncate" to file plugin.  As default,
> > it's set to true (for compatibility reason), and the plugin overwrite
> > the existing file if reopened.  When it's set to false, a new file is
> > created with a different suffix (up to 1000 files) at each time.
>
> That sounds useful...

And I added another new feature to the file plugin to write WAV files
instead of raw files now to HG tree.  You can specify the format "wav"
instead of "raw" (the default one).

It's a so dumb implmenetation and has no check for over 2GB files.
But it might be more useful in many cases than raw outputs.