[alsa-devel] /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf :and file extention

Alexander Indenbaum alexander.indenbaum at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 03:57:43 CET 2008

Hello,

I'm playing with embedded system without any hardware sound device. I'd like
to grab sound from ALSA application, for instance Firefox displaying YouTube
clip inside flash plugin and to store  output PCM stream into file on local
disk. I got an advice to use File extension. So I defined following
/usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf

pcm.default{
        type
file
        file
/tmp/pcm.out
}

But when alsa lib still complains about
"Unknown PCM plughw:0,0"
"Cannot open shared library /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_file.so"

I have a nasty feeling that syntax of my /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf  is
broken beyond recognition. I wonder what is the correct way to define my
situation:
* No real audio devices
* All sound is output goes to file as PCM stream

Do you have a clue?
Alexander Indenbaum