[alsa-devel] ICE1724 - File descriptor in bad state when capturing

Pavel Hofman pavel.hofman at insite.cz
Sun Mar 9 23:56:01 CET 2008

Hi,

I have most of the ESI Juli driver working, but I have hit a problem
with the capture stream. I had to modify some ice1724.c code to allow
redefining clock-related functions in the actual card file (Juli has a
different clocking scheme), but all the DMA code is left intact, as well
as the methods defining the capture stream.

The ice1724 vu-meters detect input ADC data, I can hear correct sound
when setting the internal mixer to H/W-In. Yet, when trying to record, I get

arecord -v -D hw:0,0,0 -r 44100 -f S32_LE -c2

RIFF$WAVEfmt  ... data arecord: pcm_read:1346: read error: File
descriptor in bad state

At the same time, my second Envy24-based card Prodigy192 (uses the
original methods in ice1724.c) works OK, arecord gives no errors.
Swapping the cards using the model parameter (to swap the
/dev/snd/pcmCXDXc device file) makes no difference.

Thank you for any hints of where I should focus my attention to. I am
not attaching the patches, as they are rather complicated. If you find
that important, I will send the preliminary version.

Pavel Hofman.