[alsa-devel] Alsa Issue - Sound playback starts on left speaker only

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu Jun 26 08:25:50 CEST 2008

At Thu, 26 Jun 2008 03:28:42 +0800,
<Ashwin.Chandra at corel.com> wrote:

> Hi Takashi,
> Actually now I am noticing the problem (left speaker only) with
> mplayer/smplayer in their OSS emulation as well. It seems to happen once
> I run my player first, then after that the other players exhibit the
> problem.

In this case, mplayer will choose the ALSA mode automatically, I
guess.  So the problem appears to be ALSA-mode specific, possibly
about dmix.

Try to define the following in ~/.asoundrc:
    pcm.!default "plughw"

then it won't use dmix as default any more.  (Then you can use only
one app at the same time, of course.)  Check whether the problem can
be reproduced with this setting.

Takashi