[alsa-devel] Is Asoc suitable for my device?

Mark Brown broonie at sirena.org.uk
Tue Dec 30 14:25:30 CET 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 05:25:22PM +0800, Xuesong Yang wrote:

> 	My problem is I don't know if it suitable for my device use Asoc.
> 	In my platform, there is only a I2S bypass module, It has a route,
> select one of the I2S source as input,(from HDMI or cpu data) delay the
> data for some time and then output it to the backend.
> 	In theory, this device is very sample, but I find I can't get a easy
> way to implement it in ALSA, I'm lost in ALSA.
> 	Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

ASoC sounds like a good fit here: it'd allow you to reuse the I2S and
DMA drivers for the CPU and what you're doing is very similar to what a
codec with analogue bypass can do so it's not really even unusual from
an ASoC point of view.  The only difference is that all your signals are
digital but nothing outside the bypass module will be able to tell.

I'd suggest writing a codec driver for your bypass module - it fits into
the system in the same place and from what you say it sounds like it
could be viewed as a codec that happens to deal in digital formats only.