[alsa-devel] ice1712 and jack

mike start mike.start at ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 30 00:22:54 CET 2008

I've been having difficulty getting an ews88MT (ice1712 chipset) to work
in full duplex using the jack audio server (jackd).  Capture only mode
works fine, even down to 64 samples latency, Playback only mode works
fine down to 64 samples latency.  Duplex mode causes 'xruns' at even
2048 samples latency.  Looking at the interrupt handler, if I add some
diagnostics to tell me the difference between the capture and playback
DMA counters timing out I see what appears to be clock drift between the
  playback and capture halves of the ice1712.  I also added some debug
messages to show what sample rate the alsa driver was setting the
hardware to and it agrees with the rate set in my jackd invocation
(jackd -R -d alsa -n 2 -p 1024 - r 48000 -d hw:0,0)
Also adding diagnostics to jackd to show the time spent in poll waiting
for the capture and playback interrupts shows that they start in sync
and gradually drift until an 'xrun' occurs when they are '-p' samples
apart.  According to the ice1712 data sheet the 'professional'
multitrack part of this chip (the part my soundcard is using) runs its
inputs and outputs from the same master clock so I'm puzzled as to why
they are drifting.  Does anybody have any more information relating to
the ews88mt?  - I think the drivers are working fine but the problems
are being caused by the capture and playback not being quite in sync
which renders it almost useless for professional recording.  Anyone have
any suggestions?