[alsa-devel] No sound from laptop speakers (Resolved)

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Dec 10 08:05:37 CET 2008

At Wed, 10 Dec 2008 11:20:54 +0530,
Manilal K M wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>   Recently I have installed Fedora 10 on my Compaq CQ45 laptop. But
> unfortunately there was no sound from the laptop speakers even though
> the headphones worked perfectly. I did some google search but it
> didn't helped. Later, on a discussion at #alsa(freenode.net), one of
> the IRC member(nickname: copper) gave some clue and finally found that
> I have to upgrade the alsa driver and pass the model id(dell-m4-1) as
> a parameter in modprobe.conf. Here are the results generated by
> alsa-info.sh before and after upgrading to the latest alsa(1.0.18a).
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=9a29eac2731b3de1c17183d6c43aac3fa11942c9
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=9a29eac2731b3de1c17183d6c43aac3fa11942c9
>
> The option I have passed to /etc/modprobe.conf/alsa-base is :
> options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m4-1
>
> After reboot, I was able to hear sound from laptop speakers.

Thanks for reporting.

Could you try the latest snapshot below and check whether the problem
still exists and model=dell-m4-1 works?
    ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/alsa-driver-snapshot.tar.gz

If the model option is still needed, I'll add the quirk entry.

Note that you should reboot after changing the model option for
STAC/IDT codec, just to be sure.  When a model option is specified,
the driver may override the BIOS setting.

thanks,