[alsa-devel] PATCH - vt1618 7.1 Audio

John L. Utz III john.utz at dmx.com
Wed Aug 20 21:16:27 CEST 2008

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:05:33 -0700, Rene Herman <rene.herman at keyaccess.nl>
wrote:

> On 20-08-08 19:50, John L. Utz III wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 01:28:39 -0700, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
>
>>> Also, a Windows style variable name should be avoided.  People tend to
>>> hate it.
>>  Why would you call this 'Windows Style?' Is that supposed to be a
>> perjorative comment?
>
> You insult really quickly... :-)

Quickly, but not deeply. :-)

> The style is more generally known as Hungarian Notation after its
> Hungarian "inventor" who was a chief architect at Microsoft.

Yuppers. I know. Charles Simonyi. I really, really, like it.

> This notational conventation saw widespread use in the Windows API and
> not much use anywhere beyond that.

with an example of 'beyond that' being John Utz's code.

Be it C, Java, C#, Javascript, Ada or any languages that use strong types.

I dont do it in shell script tho:

# Let any boot observers know what devices we found

echo "Type MotherBoard:  ($TYPEMBD)"
echo "Type Soundcard:    ($TYPESND)"
echo "Type Ethenet:      ($TYPEETH)"
echo "Type Modem:        ($TYPEMDM)"

anyway, we can argue about it again after i get a checkpatch compliant
patch to submit....

johnu