[alsa-devel] Creative Labs XFi drivers.

Tobin Davis tdavis at dsl-only.net
Thu Sep 27 07:29:57 CEST 2007

Creative Labs has released a proprietary driver base for their XFi
cards.  I downloaded it because it claims to have compatibility with
alsa.  In fact, it requires alsa include files to be able to compile.  I
haven't looked at the source yet (this information is all in the
Readme.txt in the  main download) and probably won't (especially since I
don't own a Creative Labs XFi card).

What I don't understand, is are they allowed to use our code to build
their drivers?  They use alsa core modules to interoperate (from what I
can tell in the Readme.txt).  Also, this line in the License.txt is
especially troubling:

> In the event that the Software includes Linux code or drivers, then, unless expressly stated to the contrary, such Linux
> code and drivers are proprietary to Creative and all rights therein are reserved.

I'm deleting all but the big tarball I downloaded.  I'll delete it
later.

--
Tobin Davis <tdavis at dsl-only.net>