[alsa-devel] Inappropriate ioctl for device on alsalib with uclibc and arm platform

Federico Fuga f.fuga at people.it
Fri Nov 23 18:49:17 CET 2007

Takashi Iwai ha scritto:
>>> ioctl(4, USBDEVFS_HUB_PORTINFO, 0xbeab0768) = -1 ENOTTY (Inappropriate
>>>

>>> Looks like the definition of SNDRV_CTL_ICOTL_ELEM_WRITE doesn't match
>>> with the user-space and the kernel, most likely the size of struct
>>> snd_ctl_elem_value.  This might be a word alignment issue.
>>>
> Well, I vaguely remember about the ARM cross-compiling problem.
> Checking the mail archive might help...

Hi,

I have solved that problem.
While compiling the kernel, the alsa modules (not the alsa-driver, but
that one included in the "vanilla" sources) are compiled with the option
-mabi=aapcs-linux.
When compiling the library, that option is missing, using, as default,
another abi and, evidently, another data alignment => another struct
size => another ioctl.
I send you that for reference, but I think that a more general solution
should be nice.
Best regards, ant thank you for your interest.

ing. Federico Fuga