[alsa-devel] Can this be a driver problem? Sound works fine for ogg

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sun Nov 18 21:24:31 CET 2007

On Sunday 18 November 2007 18:48, alsa-devel.20.pris at spamgourmet.com wrote:
> > The thing is, on my system(Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon) I get perfect sound
> > playing the example ogg files that come with the system. The system
> > sounds seem to work fine also. But I have problems when trying to
> > listen to avi or mp3 files. Can this still be an Alsa problem or is
> > this a problem of some incorrect configuration?
>
> The problems I have with avi files are: sound is very low and
> distorted. Interestingly this varies with the AVI files. There are
> some files where the sound is better, others are so bad that I can
> barely understand what is being said.

Hi. I've seen a few problems with sound on Gutsy Gibbon, and unresolved. Would
you be kind enough to post the output of.
cat /proc/asound/version
and
uname -r   (for the kernel version)

Also, which laptop, pc, mobo is this soundcard installed on?

I only ask because amongst other distros, I only have Kubuntu Dapper
installed, and would like to know which alsa driver comes as standard with
Gutsy Gibbon.

Moving on to your problems. Which app are you using to play the .avi,
and .mp3's?

I ask because I've seen folks having problems with Mplayer.

For playing .ogg, and .mp3 files I use MhWaveedit.
https://gna.org/projects/mhwaveedit/

It's a tarball . No forget that. I've just booted up Kubuntu Dapper, and see
that it's available from the Kubuntu repo's, and I have it installed, so
should pull in all the dependencies with no problems.

If you want to try out a few .oggs, or mp3's, try the link below. Not my
stuff, but someone on the LAU list.

http://www.musically.me.uk/updates.html

Nigel.