[alsa-devel] Surround sound problem with CS46xx

Vasilis Manwlopoulos vmanolop at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 21:51:53 CEST 2007

Hi to everybody,

I am kind of new in linux and to alsa and I am facing a problem with the
setup for 5.1 surround sound with my sound card Hercules Fortissimo III,
recognized  having the chip cs46xx. I have managed to enable surround
sound by creating a .asounrc file with the followings

pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "surround51"
  slave.channels 6
  route_policy duplicate
}

The problem is that I am facing weird cpu load spikes (sometimes isn't
just spikes, but just 99% usage for a long time!) even when just playing
a normal mp3 file at 128Kbps. This is happening when playing with
various players (totem,rhythbox,vlc). Also the sound has cracklings or
there is a delay between the front and the rear speakers. i have send
this email to alsa-users too, but since there wasn't anyone to propose a
workaround I was adviced to also send it to alsa-devel.  I am using the
distro ubuntu 7.04 with the default alsa libraries version 1.0.13ubuntu5.

So, if anyone has any idea plz give me a hint, cause I am stuck with it
about two weeks now, without having any clue to proceed with!!!

PS. If any other information or command output is necessary to help me,
tell me so.