[alsa-devel] Dealing with 'siamesed' DAC sample rates

John Utz john.utz at dmx.com
Thu Aug 30 22:05:13 CEST 2007

Hi Lee;

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:47:56 -0400
"Lee Revell" <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:

> On 8/30/07, John Utz <john.utz at dmx.com> wrote:
> > Hello All;
> >
> > The thrice cursed vt1618 has the DAC sample rates regs for the
> > Surround and Center/LFE DAC's (0x2E, 0x30) set to RO and locked to
> > whatever rate that the Front DAC is set to.
> >

> I don't think the driver should expose separate front and rear PCMs
> for this device as they cannot be controlled independently at the HW
> level.

That's a good point.

However, they can be controlled independently for everything *other*
than sample rate.

I'll have to ponder your point carefully and take it into consideration
for what i decide to do when i push out a patch (hopefully one that
will get accepted this time :-) )

But for our *product platform* the independent control is a must
have, so i am kinda stuck solving this problem somehow, someway.

tnx!

johnu