[alsa-devel] ESI reply!! (MAYA44 datasheet request)

Tobin Davis tdavis at dsl-only.net
Thu Aug 23 04:17:19 CEST 2007

I can attest to that.  I had to port a Windows driver to Linux for an
internal test card (the card & code never left the building).  The
Windows code was ~50k lines long, and did the exact same thing as my
final Linux driver of ~7500 lines.  Part of the problem was all of the
Windows API's that needed to be included.  Another problem was the
Windows driver was written in C++ with heavy OO code.

Tobin

On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 00:42 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> At Thu, 23 Aug 2007 00:09:55 +0200,
> Rene Herman wrote:
> >
> > On 08/22/2007 11:50 PM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> >
> > > As James mentioned, the datasheet is vial.  "SOME SORT OF" datasheet
> > > is.  Yes, this can be any document.
> >
> > Where existing Windows driver source would, I assume, count as "some sort".
>
> Well, as my personal preference, Windows driver source code isn't
> suitable as the primary information source.  It's good as a reference,
> for example, for debugging a bug in your driver.
> But, the proprietary driver code is often hard to disclose publicly
> than the other technical documents.  And, above all, when you write a
> driver based on windows code, it tends to result in a bad code ;)
>

> Takashi

Tobin Davis

Circumstances rule men; men do not rule circumstances.
		-- Herodotus