[alsa-devel] hw_params function and OSS emulation

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Wed Aug 22 17:02:11 CEST 2007

Takashi Iwai wrote:

> Alternatively, you can remember the last allocated buffer-size and
> re-use the same buffer if the requested size is less than it.
> Since the buffer size change won't happen _so often_ (even via OSS
> emulation), this would work well in practice, too.

Hmm... Neither of these options is really that great.  I think I like the idea
of pre-allocating the buffer in .new.  What is a reasonable maximum size for
the DMA buffer?  32KB seems small to me.  When I was testing OSS emulation,
the first call to .hw_params passed a DMA buffer size of over 1MB!

--
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale