[alsa-devel] Intel HDA / AD1986A problems

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Aug 21 14:34:22 CEST 2007

At Mon, 20 Aug 2007 22:27:40 -0400,
Peter Skensved wrote:

>  Configuration : Lenovo 3000 N100 laptop with Intel HDA / Anlog Devices AD1986A
> soundcard running CentOS5.0 with 2.6.18-8.1.8.el5 kernel ( uses 1.0.12rc1 based
> alsa driver ).
>
>  The driver works with the model=laptop-eapd option except for a few things :
>
> 1)  Plugging in an external headset will not mute the internal speakers ( has to be done
> manually in alsa-mixer )

That's an unimplemented feature.  It shouldn't be too hard to add it
if you help debugging well (i.e. you can build and test drivers from
HG tree without hitch).

> 2)  The PC speaker ( bell ) appears to be permanently muted.

Partly intended (as I dislike it ;)

> 3)  The external microphone input does not appear to be working no matter what I do.

Do you mean for recording or analog loopback?

> 4)  When recording from the internal microphone the level is very, very low and almost
> drowns in static noise.

There are "Mic Boost" and "Front Mic Boost" mixer volumes.

>  Any easy way to fix the above ? Number 4 in particular ?  I've tinkered with backporting
> what I thought were relevant differences between the latest patch_analog.c and the one
> used in the kernel I have (alsa-driver 1.0.12rc1 ) but I see no difference.

Doh, that's way too old, stone aged.  Use ALSA HG version.