[alsa-devel] ESI MAYA44 PCI - ESI wants to collaborate!

Adrian McMenamin adrianmcmenamin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 21:25:23 CEST 2007

On 20/08/07, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
> At Sat, 18 Aug 2007 09:28:34 +0200,
> Piotrek wrote:
> >
> >      Referring to the lack of the official ALSA support of ESI MAYA44 PCI
> > (in fact, the card does not work) I would like to ask I there are any plans
> > to get this card working with ALSA? I would be thankful to be able to run my
> > soundcard properly under Linux. There are also a lot of people that would
> > appreciate your work and are waiting for maya44 pci drivers for linux:
> > http://www.esiforum.com/show.asp?db=esi&t=esi1&mode=3&msg=793
> >     I wrote a letter to the UK ESI SUPPORT asking if they were going to
> > write drivers for their products for Linux systems as well. There is a
> > reply:
> >
> > "
> > Dear Piotr
> >
> > ESI do not provide and have no plans for Linux drivers for our products
> > However
> > ESI are happy to provide /share information to an Individual developer
> > within the Linux community
> > That is able and capable to develope drivers
> > and wishes to develope drivers
> >
> > Regards
> > UK Support
> > ESI Auditechnik
> > "
> >
> > It means that ESI will collaborate with developers who would like to write
> > such driver and share the documentation.
> >
> > Again the question: Are there any plans to make ESI MAYA44 PCI card working
> > with ALSA?
>
> AFAIK, no plan.  We don't have this hardware for developing.

I have no idea what this card is like, but if they would be prepared
to send me one, I'd be happy to take the project on. I've written one
alsa driver - that will shortly be in the stable kernel - so can point
to that.

Of course, other developers will probably be able to do the job at a
greater speed - but I would be happy to take it on as a pro bono
project.

I am in the UK.