[alsa-devel] [Alsa-user] Impossible to make subwoofer work on a Dell XPS M1710w

Michael Gerdau mgerdau at tiscali.de
Fri Aug 17 19:09:36 CEST 2007

[crossposting to alsa-devel as adviced in ALSA-Configuration.txt]

> The model option is _the_ important option for HD-audio driver.
> It overrides the configuration preset.  As default, the driver reads
> the PCI (subsystem) IDs to identify which configuration preset to
> use.  If not found, the driver does a guess work from the BIOS setup
> in most cases.
>
> Now, since many laptops are shipped with broken BIOS and the guess
> work is imperfect, you often face the famous problem -- "sound
> doesn't work" (great words that explain everything).  Then you can
> pass model option for the preset designed for anohter hardware
> (e.g. model=thinkpad) to make the driver probe as if it's such a
> hardware.  If you are lucky, your device is similar with others, and
> the driver works with such a preset.  If not, we'd need to hack
> another preset for matching with your device.
>
> The list of available model option is found in
> ALSA-Configuration.txt.

So it seems the Dell XPS M1710 isn't yet listed among the known models
and also does not seem to be detected properly (as of hg20070816).

'lspci -v' gives:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 01ce
        Memory at efffc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
        Capabilities: [70] Express Unknown type IRQ 0
        Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
        Capabilities: [130] Unknown (5)

'lspci -nv' gives:
00:1b.0 Class 0403: 8086:27d8 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: 1028:01ce
        Memory at efffc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
        Capabilities: [70] Express Unknown type IRQ 0
        Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
        Capabilities: [130] Unknown (5)

Anything else I could do to help getting it (fully) supported ?

Best,
Michael
--
 Vote against SPAM - see http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/