[alsa-devel] Tascam US-428 USB Problems

Karsten Wiese fzu at wemgehoertderstaat.de
Thu Aug 16 11:47:12 CEST 2007

Am Donnerstag, 16. August 2007 schrieb Michael Bourgeous:
> Hello,
>
> I hope this reaches the Tascam driver developer...  I have a Tascam
> US-428 which worked great with my Athlon XP, but does not work at all
> with my new system, an Athlon 64 X2.  I've tried using the regular
> alsa driver, as well as the hwdep audio, and jackd always crashes with
> a SIGSEGV, with the following message in the kernel log:
>
> [ 2538.003798] ALSA
> /home/nitrogen/src/alsa-driver-1.0.14rc3/usb/usx2y/usbusx2yaudio.c:148:
> should not be here with counts=42
> [ 2538.003806] ALSA
> /home/nitrogen/src/alsa-driver-1.0.14rc3/usb/usx2y/usbusx2yaudio.c:91:
> active frame status -70. Most probably some hardware problem.

Is it also the alsa-driver-1.0.14rc3, that works on the Athlon XP?
Please try the vesrion on the X2 that works on the XP.

The Athlon 64 X2 is run in 64Bit Mode?

Erm, I only have uniprocessor machines up to now....
please switch the Athlon 64 X2 to run with one core only and recheck.

> I did some searching through source code, and found that the frame
> status of -70 (ECOMM) indicates an OHCI buffer overflow error.  As
> soon as the usx2y driver receives this it bails out of whatever it's
> doing, and jackd crashes.  I've tried changing the usx2y driver to
> ignore such errors, and while there are audio glitches when such an
> error occurs, jackd no longer crashes and the audio keeps playing.
> This leads to question one: Is there any reason to bail out instead of
> trying to recover from errors?
>
> I've tried all the different USB ports on my motherboard, different
> USB cables, and running through a hub instead of a direct connection.
> None of these things helped.  Though the usx2y message says "Most
> probably some hardware problem", I think this is something that is
> software related, as other USB devices have no problems.  So here is
> question two: what kinds of problems, software or hardware, would lead
> to a buffer overflow error, and can I fix this in the driver code?

Please post the lspci of the new machine.

      Karsten