[alsa-devel] Voip Application with ALSA OSS Emulation ==> voice delay

Clemens Ladisch cladisch at fastmail.net
Thu Aug 16 08:47:36 CEST 2007

Akio wrote:
> Right now, we are using a arm box with linux kernel 2.6.14 to
> develop a voip  solution. After the rtp connection was
> connected at first 20 secs, there is no delay. As the timing passing
> by, the delay will going longer and longer.  After 16 houres, the
> delay will up to 12 secs.

If the sending and the receiving computers don't use the same clock,
there will be a small difference in the sample rate.  You have to
measure this and adjust the data accordingly (by resampling or just
adding/dropping some samples).

> Because the alsa lib application can't detect any alsa device,

I'd guess that either the device nodes in /dev/snd/ or the configuration
files in /use/share/alsa/ are missing.

HTH
Clemens