[alsa-devel] unknown card info [snd-bt87x]

Vincent Minder vincent.minder at freebel.net
Sun Aug 12 21:03:43 CEST 2007

Hello,

After loading the snd-bt87x module on my Fedora 7 x86_64 box, here is
what I found in the dmesg output:

unknown card 0x878-0xbd11:0x1200, using default rate 32000
please mail id, board name, and, if it works, the correct digital_rate
option to <alsa-devel at alsa-project.org>

The card is a rather old and cheap "PINNACLE systems - Studio PCTV rave"
The chip on the board is from Conexant:
CONEXANT Fusion 878A (chip markings: 25878-13, E32673.1, 0023 KOREA)
The card standard is PAL B/G. I think this model supports only MONO audio.
It has TV-in, Audio-out (mini jack), Composite-in, S-VIDEO-in.

TV playback is working all right (tested with "kdetv" and "tvtime"). I
have sound as long as I use the Audio-out connector and bridge it to my
motherboard's integrated audio Line-in .
However, I didn't manage to use the internal audio capabities of that
board. So I have no clue about the "correct digital_rate". (I must admit
I am not familiar with these technologies at all.)

Here is the output of "arecord -l" regarding this card:
$ arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
(...)
card 2: Bt878 [Brooktree Bt878], device 0: Bt87x Digital [Bt87x Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 2: Bt878 [Brooktree Bt878], device 1: Bt87x Analog [Bt87x Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I am using the stock Alsa package of Fedora 7 x86_64 (fully updated
distribution):
alsa-lib-1.0.14-1.fc7

I hope this report will be useful to you.
Sincerely,

  Vincent Minder
  (Belgium)