[alsa-devel] emu10k1 ALSA/jack problem

jamesmstone at gmail.com jamesmstone at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 13:10:45 CEST 2007

Dear All,

I am currently working on an audio program (aldrin) which uses
libbzub driver
http://trac.zeitherrschaft.org/zzub/browser/trunk/src/libzzub/driver.cpp
for accessing the sound card. Libzzub, in turn uses rtaudio
version 3.03, which is part of the libzzub source tree.

The problem arises when I am running a jack server using my
sblive, but specifying the default interface (hw:0).

On startup, a vast number of xruns are generated (>200) and jack
either falls over, or the computer almost completely locks up.

This appears to be caused by rtaudio probing the alsa devices
whilst jack is running. Interestingly, if I specify a sub-device
(hw:0,3), or the integrated sound card (intel), no xruns are
generated.

I am wondering if this problem is arising because of a bug in the
emu10k1 driver, or a problem with the way rtaudio probes alsa
devices, or because it is a bad idea to probe alsa devices while
they are being used by jack???

Best wishes,

James