[alsa-devel] a newbie overwhelmed with this API

Adam Seychell a_seychell at yahoo.com.au
Sat Aug 4 13:50:24 CEST 2007

I'm writing simple audio application and I have successfully used the
DirectSound API under Windows. Now I'm looking at porting to Linux using
ALSA. I have tried reading the online ALSA API documentation, but it
seems too early in development and insufficient compared what one can
learn reading Microsoft's DirectX SDK documentation. Excuse my ignorance
for a minute, but the API seems quite large compared to DirectSound and
so I'm wondering if there is good reason why so many functions exists ?
Was there an early design decision not to write ALSA in C++ ?

I would like to help out with documentation but of course I thats
impossible for someone who is a complete novice to the ALSA project. I
know that writing good documentation takes a lot of hard work,
especially for software developers who spend enough time on coding. Its
an unfortunate paradox among all open source projects. Software
developers who posses the knowledge can't readily communicate it to
potential volunteer documentation writers in an open source environment.

Adam