[alsa-devel] User space drivers

Eliot Blennerhassett linux at audioscience.com
Fri Aug 3 04:55:23 CEST 2007

James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> Wallace, Brooke wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been trying to sort thru the ALSA docs and am starting to get the
>> impression that all of the existing drivers are written as Kernel
>> Modules. Doesn't this mean that they are running in Kernel space and
>> infact are not User Space drivers? Shouldn't there be an ALSA Drivers
>> API document that covers an API that User Space Drivers can use? I must
>> be mssing something here...

What you may be looking for is the plugins API.
Take a look at the alsa-plugins source, there are some examples of
things that talk to other userspace things (E.g. jack or pulseaudio
plugin) or other non alsa drivers (E.g. oss or freebob)

http://hg-mirror.alsa-project.org/alsa-plugins/

But remember not to put any GPL code in your non-gpl driver ;)

As others have mentioned you may not be able to get much help for this
kind of endeavour if you are not prepared to "show us the source".

--
Eliot