[alsa-devel] User space drivers

James Courtier-Dutton James at superbug.co.uk
Fri Aug 3 02:04:24 CEST 2007

Wallace, Brooke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to sort thru the ALSA docs and am starting to get the
> impression that all of the existing drivers are written as Kernel
> Modules. Doesn't this mean that they are running in Kernel space and
> infact are not User Space drivers? Shouldn't there be an ALSA Drivers
> API document that covers an API that User Space Drivers can use? I must
> be mssing something here...
>
> I'm looking into ALSA because my company wants to use this standard for
> writing User Space drivers for our product running on various linux
> kernels. The reasoning for this is strictly proprietary licensing - our
> leagl department is not comfortable with the GPL and the possiblitiy
> that something written for Kernel space could at some time be considered
> as required to be GPL - not my decision...
>
> -Brooke

Brooke,

What is the problem? Just license your driver as GPL. Result, no more
legal problems.
The advantage of this approach is that you then get to use your device
with Linux. Alternatives along the lines of what you are considering are
not worth the effort by yourselves, and certainly not worth our effort
helping you.

Kind Regards

James