[alsa-devel] User space drivers

Wallace, Brooke brookew at qualcomm.com
Thu Aug 2 23:39:34 CEST 2007

Hi,

I've been trying to sort thru the ALSA docs and am starting to get the
impression that all of the existing drivers are written as Kernel
Modules. Doesn't this mean that they are running in Kernel space and
infact are not User Space drivers? Shouldn't there be an ALSA Drivers
API document that covers an API that User Space Drivers can use? I must
be mssing something here...

I'm looking into ALSA because my company wants to use this standard for
writing User Space drivers for our product running on various linux
kernels. The reasoning for this is strictly proprietary licensing - our
leagl department is not comfortable with the GPL and the possiblitiy
that something written for Kernel space could at some time be considered
as required to be GPL - not my decision...

-Brooke