[alsa-devel] Will the real alsa wiki please stand up?

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu Aug 2 14:50:43 CEST 2007

At Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:54:54 +1200,
Eliot Blennerhassett wrote:

> On Friday 27 July 2007 21:40:09 Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Fri, 27 Jul 2007 09:40:45 +1200,
> > Eliot Blennerhassett wrote:
> > > I'm confused again.  Which is the real official wiki?
> > > http://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page
>
> As far as migrating the website on to this wiki, it would be very helpful to
> have a list of the source pages and their wiki equivalents that need
> migrating, otherwise it is very hard for a volunteer to pick a page and do
> it. E.g.  page [[WebMigration]] contains
>
> Volunteers need to migrate these pages.
> Pick a page below, and create the matching wiki page. Once you have done this,
> delete the line from here
>
> [http://alsa-project.org/applications.php]  [[Applications]]
> ... etc

Yes, that's a good idea.  Care to add it on the top?

> > > https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=AlsaWiki
> >
> > This one for developers only, which has been existed since long time
> > ago.
>
> > Only the first one is the official wiki.  The developers wiki should
> > be gone after migration, IMO.  The unofficial Wiki is literally
> > unofficial, which we can do nothing directly.  It'd been asked to
> > migrate both of them, but no action has been done yet.
>
> Ingo Mueller wrote:
> > If you provide a rough plan of how to
> > merge these wikis and you are willing to spent time in its realization,
> > I'm sure that people will greatly appriciate it!
>
> Is there a reason NOT to migrate the 'developers only' wiki on
> alsa-project.org into the 'official wiki' .  Converting from wikkawakka to
> mediawiki on the way.
>
> If the (currently active) contributors to the developer wiki agreed, I'd be
> willing to do the grunt work of moving the pages.

That'd be greatly appreciated.

> but the page 'owners' might
> prefer to do the copy and keep the  authorship intact...
>
> JamesCourtierDutton 15 pages
> LiamGirdwood 2 or 3 pages
> ClemensLadisch 1 page
> NormanSchleicher 2 pages
> JohnUtz 3 pages
> JaroslavKysela 5 pages

Any of you have objections about this?
(sorry I couldn't find Norman's address...)

> And, in the official wiki,  would we want a separate Development: namespace?
> Something the wiki-master needs to create.
> or is a Development: category a better way to go.

I think the catgoery should suffice.  But I'm no Wiki expert al all,
so would like to hear from other skilled guys.

> At the end of this migration, we'd be down to 2 wikis, both MediaWiki, so a
> future merge would be easier(???)
> Integrating official and unofficial is a bridge to cross...later.
> However, setting up some interwiki mappings between the 2 would make it easier
> to crosslink:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Interwiki_linking

Thanks for the information!