[Sound-open-firmware] Real hardware (boards) on which the SOF runs

Kai Vehmanen kai.vehmanen at linux.intel.com
Wed Feb 1 10:44:55 CET 2023

Hi,

On Tue, 31 Jan 2023, Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:

> On 1/31/23 04:26, Gerion Entrup wrote:
> >> The only Intel-based devices you can use for you own development are the
> >> Up Extreme i11 boards or TigerLake+ Chromebooks in developer mode. These
> >> two sets of devices use the community key and have the DSP configured.
> > The Extreme i11 boards look promising.
>
> > Regarding the Chrombooks: I'm not familiar with these devices. Is it
> > possible to use them as a "server"? So reboot and connect to them over SSH
> > while the developer mode stays active?
>
> yes, the 'developer mode' is something that you can set once and it can
> remain on over reboot cycles. It's not that straightforward but it's not
> the end of the world either.

the typical setup is indeed to have a SSH connection set up between
development and target machine. The CrOS developer documentation
covers this well:
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/docs/+/HEAD/developer_guide.md
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/docs/+/HEAD/developer_mode.md

Here's one tutorial written from Zephyr perspective how to setup a Tiger
Lake Chromebook and get up and running with Zephyr code on the DSP:
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/blob/main/boards/xtensa/intel_adsp_cavs25/doc/index.rst

This guide uses Crouton (to enable the full Zephyr test framework on the
tested device), but that is not mandatory. Ssh connections are used to
run tests on plain CrOS test images as well:
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/docs/+/HEAD/developer_guide.md#Set-up-SSH-connection-between-chroot-and-DUT

Br, Kai