[Sound-open-firmware] EQ component documentation

Seppo Ingalsuo seppo.ingalsuo at linux.intel.com
Wed Jul 21 18:55:05 CEST 2021

Hi Daniel,

On 21.7.2021 17.40, Daniel Baluta wrote:
> Hi Seppo,
>
> Is there any documentation on how to use the Equalizer component for SOF?
>
> Is there any way to dynamically change the coefficients at runtime?

The documentation is my task list. However there are clear (hope so)
examples in tools/tune/eq. See first example_iir_eq.m script. It needs
Octave or Matlab with signal-processing package. The IIR equalizers are
designed manually with parametric 2nd order blocks. The parameters are
usually center frequency, Q-value, and gain.

A more complex example is example_fir_eq.m. FIR can be designed
parametrically with prototype IIR as target response or via a direct
target response with (frequency, dB magnitude) points. The target can be
also computed from delta of desired vs. measured frequency response.

The script example_spk_eq.m shows an EQ that combines both IIR and FIR.
IIR is efficient in coarse shape definition and FIR for very detailed,
but take care of not going into too small details with it. The FIR
response can be controlled with octave bands smoothing.

The run-time control of EQs is documented in
https://thesofproject.github.io/latest/developer_guides/tuning/sof-ctl.html

The equalizers (high-pass for some inputs) those are used currently are
embedded into topology and do not need runtime setup. See the topology
CMakeList.txt for examples of embedding them.

Hope this helps to get started!

Cheers,
Seppo