[Sound-open-firmware] codec_adapter local buffer

Daniel Baluta daniel.baluta at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 10:05:40 CET 2021

Hi Marcin,

What is the exact usage of local buffer in codec_adapter component?

Commit below says:
commit 44137fad6c4a8e5dbf4ae8a959885086f3a81748
    codec_adapter: add local buffer

    This patch adds local buffer to codec adapter. The aim of
    this buffer is to damp any irregularity between pipeline
    and codec. The difference in buffer sizes is one of the
    examples here - thanks to additional local buffer we can
    call codec processing several times during one period or
    we can store several pipeline periods in local buffer and
    process them once.

In case of decoder algorithms. Is this used as an input or output buffer?

Looking at:
` we can store several pipeline periods in local buffer
and process them once`

it looks to be an input buffer.

But looking at code it looks like it is used as an temporary output buffer.