[Sound-open-firmware] Platform vs CPU component driver

Sridharan, Ranjani ranjani.sridharan at intel.com
Tue Jun 30 19:58:39 CEST 2020

On Tue, 2020-06-30 at 10:56 +0300, Daniel Baluta wrote:
> Hi Ranjani,
>
> In sound/soc/sof/core.c there is this code
>
> »       /* set up platform component driver */
> »       snd_sof_new_platform_drv(sdev);
>
> Components in ALSA are of type: CPU, platform and codec.
>
> So, my question is that ignoring some language semantics
> isn't this function setting up the CPU component driver?

Hi Daniel,

Im not sure I understand your question here.  Are you asking if the
comment above is correct?

Take for example, the DAI link definition in one of the Intel machine
drivers:

SND_SOC_DAILINK_REG(ssp1_pin, ssp1_codec, platform),

The ssp1_pin refers to the CPU component, ssp1_codec refers to the
codec component and platform refers to the platform component. The
platform component's name is fixed-up a with the name that is passed to
the machine driver when it is registered by the SOF driver (ie the
platform driver).

So whats we're setting up in snd_sof_new_platform_drv() is the platform
component and not the CPU component. Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Ranjani