[Sound-open-firmware] mixer and formats question

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Wed Aug 26 00:57:57 CEST 2020

Hi,
we have a rather odd issue [1] with mixer/formats, where somehow an
error is thrown by firmware when we play an S24/32_LE PCM stream through
a mixer and into a DAI configured in S16_LE (because of codec restrictions)

I could use feedback on the following points:

a) was it really a design decision to assume that all sources to the
mixer share the same format?

b) if yes, how is the format for a mixer defined? We typically convert
using volume elements, but somehow a mixer would need to be set-up with
a predefined format (i.e. not propagated by hw_params()) if we want the
volume elements to know when/what to convert. I see in my experiments
that the format for the mixer sources and sinks seems to be changed
dynamically, which doesn't seem quite right to me.

c) if no, same question "how is the format of the mixer defined"? we
would need to have the ability to set a format for the mixer so that it
can convert on the fly, but we don't seem to set formats anywhere except
for PCM streams and DAIs.

Thanks,
-Pierre

[1] https://github.com/thesofproject/sof/pull/3341