[Sound-open-firmware] SOF in a laptop Whiskey Lake ALC215

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Mon Apr 20 17:27:16 CEST 2020

Hi Josep,

> sound & mic work, but:

That's good progress :-)

> In the mixer (pavucontrol), sound Cannon profile ("Play HiFi quality
> Music") appears as "unavailable" (speakers and internal microphone do
> work) without headphones plugged in but as soon as headphones are
> plugged in, the "unavailable" text disappears).
>
> Both digital internal microphone and headphones microphone always
> appear "unplugged" but work.
>
> If I am listening music (Firefox+youtube, for example) in the
> headphones and unplug them, application loses link to the audio card
> (pavucontrol shows no device available). I have to select the "Play
> HiFi quality Music" profile again and restart program to listen again.
>
> This is what I have to solve. With other analog systems these things
> do not happen. Does it look like it is related to configuration /
> topology?

There are known issues with PulseAudio handling of profiles, see e.g.

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/-/merge_requests/276 .

Ubuntu bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/1872970

I tried to ping Debian maintainers to solve the issue of firmware
installation and mention all these kernel/alsa-lib/alsa-ucm-conf
dependencies, so far no answer. We're really like to make sure everyone
gets an "audio just works' experience instead of having to replicate the
same experiments...

Regards
-Pierre