[Sound-open-firmware] System Controller Unit firmware code inside SOF

Daniel Baluta daniel.baluta at nxp.com
Tue Sep 3 16:28:23 CEST 2019

Hi Liam / Pierre,

I want to hear your take on the following.

On some of our i.MX platforms most of the critical functions
like PM, clocks, interrupts are handled by a special core name
SCU (System Controller Unit).

It runs a special firmware (SCFW). In order for our DSP core to
communicate with SCU it needs to use a special interface exported
by the SCFW.

The interface is BSD-3 Clause licensed. Anyhow, as you might expect
the coding style / file naming / organization is firmware like. That means
very very different from what we have in SOF.

Do you think such an interface would be acceptable to be merged in SOF?
Or should we spent some time to rewrite it from scratch to match the quality
of the existing SOF code?

The bad part in rewriting it from scratch is that we need to update-it by hand
each time the SCFW interface changes.

thanks,
Daniel.