[Sound-open-firmware] How does one debug IPC errors?

Liam Girdwood liam.r.girdwood at linux.intel.com
Thu Oct 17 19:26:23 CEST 2019

On Wed, 2019-10-16 at 15:57 +0000, Paul Olaru wrote:
> Right now I'm still working on the ESAI SOF driver. Based on the
> current branch I'm getting
> an out of memory issue. Solved by increasing the system runtime heap,
> not a real problem
> even if a surprising one to me, will probably send the fix together
> with the ESAI driver.
>
> However, I'm getting a second issue: Whenever I'm trying to play
> anything I see the etrace
> log filled with "ipc: msg hdr for 0x600a0000 not found replace 0" and
> playback doesn't
> progress. Also in another weirder circumstance (invalid aplay
> followed by a valid one)
> I heard it play but for some reason the host buffer was copied only
> at odd times (and I heard
> the same 64k or 16384 samples many times over instead of once).

Seems like the pointer is not being updated. ALSA wont copy more
periods and the buffer will repeat.

You can either update the pointer via IPC or update via mailbox
(preferred).

> How should I continue investigating this issue?
>
> (also due to a failed stop - kernel reported IPC timeout for
> 0x60050000 and 0x60030000,
> I'm still getting the issues for 0x600a0000 in a continuous loop on
> the firmware side, about
> the time it would take to normally play those samples; until reboot I
> cannot send any other
> commands to the DSP either).

Looks like your DMA or I2S driver may be looping forever ? Possible in
IRQ context if no other work can be scheduled ?

> Also, should I send the current state of the ESAI driver, even if
> there is a little more cleanup
> that needs to be done on it? Now that I cannot reliably test it
> anymore.

We can wait until you have fixed this issue.

Liam