[Sound-open-firmware] Commits in SOF

Daniel Baluta daniel.baluta at gmail.com
Tue May 28 16:26:00 CEST 2019

Hello all,

I have few comments about commits in SOF FW which
I think might improve the review quality.

1) I've seen commit messages that do not explain WHY the
change is needed but mostly saying WHAT the change is
doing.

Explaining WHAT the change is doing is good when the code
is fairly complicated. Anyhow, I would prefer to see more of
WHY do we need that change.

Lets try to keep this in mind.

2) Commit messages do not contain a verb.

Commits should be seen as actions thus should contain
a verb. More than that we should use imperative mood.

Not added, fixed, etc but Add, Fix, etc!

3) Capitalize the subject line

First letter from commit subject after the subsystem tag should be
capital.

e.g. buffer: add new interface -> buffer: Add new interface

I think we should turn our attention to:

https://chris.beams.io/posts/git-commit/#seven-rules

thanks,
Daniel.