[Sound-open-firmware] Questions about the SOF coredump reader

Paul Olaru paul.olaru at nxp.com
Wed Jul 24 16:35:58 CEST 2019

I'm trying to diagnose a few issues on the IMX platform and it would be nice if I would be able to interpret panics and exceptions. I have just fixed a minor issue so that the debugfs "exception" entry is correct.

I would like to know if the tool in sof/tools/coredumper/sof-coredump-reader.py is usable for interpreting such dumps and how it should be used. Right now, I have inserted a "panic" call in my code (that makes a dump which seems to be in the proper format), but whenever I try to run this tool on that /sys/kernel/debug/sof/exception file it gets exceptions (one about exccause and, if I remove the corresponding code, it messes up the pathname interpretation too, complaining about UTF-8 being invalid - I suspect wrong offsets?).

So, how is this tool supposed to be used?