[Sound-open-firmware] Generic panic handling

Paul Olaru (OSS) paul.olaru at oss.nxp.com
Mon Dec 16 13:05:14 CET 2019

Hello, I would like panics on our DSP to actually be properly reported to the kernel.

Currently on the Intel platforms for panic there is custom code for each platform to
e.g. read from the shim area and check with the panic magic mask whether there
is a panic.

My suggestion is to instead craft a specific message type and a very short message
(possibly only that one word with the panic mask, which will not be confused with
a regular DSP request header) which is then handled in a generic fashion within
snd_sof_ipc_msgs_rx.

I am aware that such a change will affect several platforms so I'm currently just
raising the issue as I want to know if it's a good idea before starting work on it.

Also, does this qualify as a minor ABI bump?