[Sound-open-firmware] Machine drivers for SOF/non-SOF Intel configurations

Liam Girdwood liam.r.girdwood at linux.intel.com
Mon Aug 26 16:06:24 CEST 2019

On Mon, 2019-08-26 at 15:44 +0300, Daniel Baluta wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As far as I understand Intel uses the same machine drivers for
> SOF/non-SOF
> configurations.

Yes, that's right. The intention here is reuse all existing machine
drivers so that we don't have to reimplement any code.

> I don't exactly understand how this works.
>
> 1) Can SOF/non-SOF sound cards co-exist?

Yes. Intel has older legacy FW that can co-exist, this can based on
PCI/ACPI ID, machine name, etc. The ACPI/PCI will logic will load the
relevant FW depending on machine supported status.

> 2) In SOF the DAI is managed by the FW, how one prevents Linux DAI
> driver to be loaded in SOF.

BE DAI's are still registered by the machine driver, the SOF core
driver just deletes and overwrites any machine driver FE DAI with the
topology FE DAIs.

> 3) Is there any SOF related information in ACPI tables.

The Intel SOF ACPI logic only reads BARs and IRQs form ACPI, however
the legacy SKL driver would read I2S configuration (now read from
topology).

> I am still trying to wrap my head around the idea implemented in sof-
> acpi-dev.c
> to make it work in the same way for sof-of-dev.c so sorry if the
> questions are not clear.

Liam